Thursday, May 24, 2012

Things I've Learned


Well, it looks like I’m going to make for lost time on the whole blog thing. I was talking to someone back home on facebook and in my conversation I realized there were some things that have happened on this trip that I wasn’t expecting and I think I shall share them.
First of all, I never expected to learn so much from the other American students in my group. There are 20 other students from my group that come from places scattered across the United States and a couple other countries. They have different majors, different religions, different sexual orientations, and different political views. They come from different family structures, different cities, and different regions. And most of all, they all have very different opinions. There were several issues that up to this point, I’ve been able to skirt by and not really have an opinion on or have a pretty weak one and the only people that have really ever challenged my beliefs and values have been professors and maybe that crazy, liberal kid in one of my classes and even they are usually Southerners (which trust me, makes a difference). So basically, I have had many of my beliefs, opinions, and values put through the ringer on this trip. Some of them have come out the other end stronger, and some of them I’m still working on. To top it all off, I’m on a trip that brings up other sets of issues and complete foreign ideas on things that I have to digest as well (however, I was expecting this part).
          So the second thing that happened that I wasn’t really expecting is that I’ve realized what I can and can’t live without for long periods of time. I will share with you my lists.

Things I Miss A LOT:
1.      Good communication with/seeing my family and very best friends. (This time has also shown me who those very best friends are.)
2.      Texas Food (Barbeque, Ranch Dressing, Tex Mex, Non-powdered Milk, Good Cheese, and what I wouldn’t do for a good casserole right now.)
3.    Speaking English at Home (I didn’t realize how much it was affecting me to not be able to come home and rant/debrief about a day and relax; it’s much harder to come home and still be in Portuguese class)
4.       Church (I say this word loosely. I miss worshipping, praying, and talking with people who I love to love Jesus with.)
5.       Math/Science Classes (Warning: I am a nerd. But really, I miss classes that have concrete answers and that make sense. I never quite feel like I accomplish anything in these social science classes.)
6.       Driving. (Period.)

Things That I Don’t Really Miss:
1.      A Watch/Clock. (Half the time I have no idea what time it is and it’s okay and that is wonderful to me.)
2.      My College Freedom. (Living with a host family with a six year old, I have to make sure and communicate a lot and I can’t get home too late and my (host) mom worries about me anyways. It really bugs some people because they feel like they’re back in high school again but honestly, I kind of like it. I like that someone is constantly caring enough about me to worry and that wants me to spend time with them at home. I think it’s nice)
3.    Clubs/Extra-Curricular Activities. (It has been so nice just to BE with people instead of DOING so much).
4.       The Weather. (That’s because it’s pretty much a Texas Summer here all the time.)
5.       Traffic. (The one good thing about not driving, it not having traffic. I just sit on a bus and let them deal with it.)

1 comment:

  1. Very good my darling, you never really know what you believe until it's questioned.

    ReplyDelete